Tuesday, September 15, 2009

FSOTD #23/Another Park, Another Sunday (1974)

FSOTD is mired in the early '70s. Today's first song is from the Doobie Brothers: "Another Park, Another Sunday" from the 1974 Warner album What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits. This may be my favorite DB album, with 12 strong tracks, including the big hits Black Water and Eyes Of Silver (neither of which, as it turns out, made into the playlist "Colored" FSOTD #21-A). I learned from the CD jacket that Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (late of Steely Dan) joined the band on this and subsequent albums. I had forgotten about that. Maybe one day Steely Dan's Bodhisattva will take its turn as an FSOTD, and I can wax about Baxter's scintillating guitar work. But until then, please by apprised that the Doobies are a touring band once again (doobie tour dates), featuring original songwriters and vocalists Patrick Simmons and Tom Johnston, as well as Michael Hossack on drums. The reviews I've seen have been generally good, and they hit the road again in October. For those local to Yabbadoodle's area, the Doobie Brothers will be making a stop in Fort Worth at the Bass Performance Hall, Monday, November 2nd.

But enough info...now for some goofy stuff. As I was pondering what to write about "Another Park...", I fixated instead on the title of the album - What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits. What a delightful notion, albeit true. But a question came to mind - how many other albums have seven or more words in their titles? The answer, of course, is not many. At first, I couldn't think of any, but slowly, like a bubblin' crude, up came some titles...

Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player ~ Elton John (1973)
Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy ~ Elton John (1975)
In The Court Of The Crimson King ~ King Crimson (1969)
For Those About To Rock (We Salute You) ~ AC/DC (1984)

I thought of those first four on my own. Then I went to the CD collection (about 2500 titles) and found these (and yes, ampersands count as words):

Meet Me Where They Play The Blues ~ Maria Muldaur (1999)
The Rise & Fall of Ruby Woo ~ The Puppini Sisters (2007)
The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get ~ Joe Walsh (1973)
Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? ~ The Cranberries (1993)
Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! ~ Devo (1978)
Just Who I Am: Poets & Pirates ~ Kenny Chesney (2007)
3 Years, 5 Months and 2 Days in the Life of... ~ Arrested Development (1992)


~Yab

No comments:

Post a Comment