Sunday, September 13, 2009

FSOTD #21/Behind Blue Eyes (1971)


Today's first song of the day came to me in a dream. Literally. I was dreaming that I was with a bunch of men and women, some I knew, most I did not. We were outside, I think, on a slightly sloped piece of land between a few big trees. We were all scurrying between tables, or perhaps picnic benches...I'm not quite sure. Were we working, decorating, having a party? I'm not sure of that either. But I am sure that near the end of the dream, I was singing (with some of my fellow scurriers) the Who's "Behind Blue Eyes". It was these lyrics:

When my fist clenches, crack it open
Before I use it and lose my cool
When I smile, tell me some bad news
Before I laugh and act like a fool


Cut to me, awake, out of bed, standing over the toilet. Under the din of liquid on liquid, those lyrics are still running through my head. Suddenly, a cognitive flash - I have my FSOTD for Sunday, September 13, 2009.

"Behind Blue Eyes" was released as single in 1971 and on Who's Next, the Who's fantastic follow-up album to the 1969 rock opera Tommy. While fans always wanted to hear Tommy in concert, it was Who's Next that provided the musical backbone for live performances by the band in the 1970's (and beyond) . . . this is what I was thinking about when I crawled back into bed to listen to the rain and scratch/rub my dogs (a morning ritual). It was during this dogtime that I had a second cognitive flash. There is great irony in becoming aware of a song from Who's Next while taking a leak. Remember that album cover?

-
Thanks to LyricsFreak for the above quatrain. http://www.firstsongoftheday.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment