Tuesday, November 10, 2009

FSOTD #50/Native New Yorker (1977)

Today's FSOTD is really from this past Sunday, November 8, 2009.   It was a football day here in Big D, not a music day.  Be that as it may, I woke up Sunday morning with some dream-turned-story that ended with "Native New Yorker" bouncing around in my conscious head.  A true first song of the day, just like I drew it up.   First a smile, then a question....who the heck sang it?  I knew roughly when - it was mid/late-70's.  Yet I had absolutely no idea who had recorded it.

"Native New Yorker" was released in 1977.  The songwriters:  Sandy Linzer and Denny Randell.   You remember them, huh?  The band: Odyssey.   Yes, Odyssey.  One-hit wondrous as any.  And they actually covered the song!   It had been written for Frankie Valli, who recorded it and put it on his album Lady Put The Lights Out, released just a few months earlier in '77.   I don't own a copy of that album, nor -to my shame- do I own any disc containing the Odyssey hit.  But hit it was, proving very popular in the UK at #5, while peaking at #21 in the US on Billboard's Hot 100.  Love the night life, love the boogie.

I love that this song came up at all.  Native effin' New Yorker.  It's the purest example of why I started writing FSOTD.  I haven't thought about this song in many, many years.  I never even liked it that much.  After all, I'm a native Texan :)   How 'bout them Cowboys??

thanks to songfacts.com
firstsongoftheday.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment