Thursday, September 3, 2009

FSOTD #12/My Favorite Things (1961)

Recorded in 1960, "My Favorite Things" by John Coltrane was released in 1961. This is two years after the 1959 Broadway debut of the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical, but it is four years before the iconic Julie Andrews version that comes from the 1965 movie.

I must admit, I was a bit hazy about all these dates this morning when the Coltrane version became the first song of the day for Wednesday, September 2nd. The first Jazz entry for FSOTD. The first instrumental. Coltrane.

The album was also titled My Favorite Things, with over 40 minutes of music but just four tracks. Wow. Jazz. Coltrane. I've always known he was prolific, but I learned from Wiki that he was either leader or sideman on well over 100 albums, and all before his untimely death at 40 from liver cancer. Wow. Coltrane.

No comments:

Post a Comment